Investing in Apartments
Rising housing prices, new urban lifestyle needs and significant investment opportunities have seen the popularity of apartments rise in New Zealand. Apartments are becoming an increasingly prominent choice for savvy investors who are looking to capitalise on these trends.
If you’re thinking about investing in an apartment, please be aware that this is a very different market. Unlike houses, apartment prices tend to be lower but the percentile return may actually be better.
Buying an apartment, in fact, is considered to be a cheaper option for investment. Lower outlay may mean less risk and also a wider range of investment choices. It may even allow you to buy two apartments instead of one house. On the flip side apartments in Auckland have a poor reputation for quality so like everything else do your homework and always insist on seeling the last two years Body Corp minutes as these are a good indication of any known problems.
Apartment Investment Essentials
One thing apartments do have in common with houses is the golden rule of property investment: Investment property quality is critically important.
Apartments come in all shapes and sizes and both new and old apartments may be very good investments. It’s the investment values of the property that you need to consider. Critical considerations for purchasing an apartment include:
- Size does matter: Big modern apartments are very much in demand whilst anything under 40 sm can be difficult to mortgage
- Onsite amenities and facilities: A well-appointed apartment block delivers significant extra value for investment purposes. If the block has a gym, a swimming pool, or other amenities, these are major positives
- Rental values: Good rental values are a major plus and may be expected to rise over time. Good rental income is often considered a major benefit for retirees and older investors who are not looking for capital gain
- Capital gain values: This is an area where apartments differ significantly from houses. It’s advisable to check price history, local market performance, and market trends. Capital gains are very much subject to local influences and newer blocks going up
- Body corporate fees: These are not necessarily a real obstacle for investment, but may represent a significant cost, they cover the cost of common maintenance and insurance so keeping the building in good order
- Rates: Rates have to be factored into any investment purchase
Ask iLender about Apartment Investment
iLender is one of the leading mortgage brokerages in New Zealand. We can provide any assistance you need for investing in an apartment property including home loans, investment mortgages, equity loans, and expert advice and market guidance. We will help you make an informed decision regarding your purchase. Give us a call on 0800 536 337 and ask to speak to one of our experts.
More information below:
Don’t just take our word for it – check out our reviews!
"Absolutely awesome words can't describe it even when we were declined you fought for us and got us our first home loan amazing job never gave up 5 starts and more"
Ross & Briar Parfitt
"I've dealt with many brokers and lenders in my career, these guys were BY FAR the quickest and stress free to work with. Everything was so easy for a change, professional, to the point, and simple. Highly recommend them! Can't speak highly enough of this company!"
"Our bank of 10+ years couldn't get the job done. Jeff and his team did it in two weeks, absolutely hassle free. Really need an option for a 6 star rating as the type of personalised service you receive from iLender just doesn't exist anywhere else."
"Thank you Jeff and team. We have found a home and you have made it possible for our family. You have made the impossible look easy and we are very thankful with gratitude that you have worked on our behalf. Very happy and satisfied customer and we highly recommend your services to those that find it a challenge buying a home...Thank you ++++"
"I am a first home buyer, who had been battling for 7 months to secure a home for my family and I. Jeff was my third try at a mortgage broker/banker, and by the time I got to Jeff I'm just thinking about giving up, this is just too hard. Jeff brought assurance and calmness to my situation straight away. He answered all my questions with clarity, and without hesitation or annoyance. Just shy of 4 weeks since working with Jeff, I am now a home owner. I cannot recommend him enough!! Thank you for all your help Jeff."